When Is The Right Time To Move Into An Aged Care Facility
Choosing to move a loved one into an aged care facility is a difficult decision. After all, nobody wants to admit that they do not have the time or resources to look after their ill and/or elderly family member.
However, in some situations aged care is the best solution for everybody involved. Family members can feel more confident about Canberra aged care units by assessing whether or not their loved one is capable of living alone. They can do this by assessing the following issues.
- Has the person been involved in any accidents or close calls recently? These include car accidents and health scares.
- Is the elderly person willing to seek help when they are ill or injured? If not, the problem could develop into something more serious.
- Is a chronic health condition such as Dementia a factor in this decision?
- Difficulty dealing with daily activities such as grooming, cleaning and cooking. If a person stops taking care of themselves and their home, it may be a sign that they are too unwell to do so. A doctor can assess whether or not an elderly person can function well enough to live on their own.
- Physical signs. If the resident loses a lot of weight or gains a lot of weight, they may not be able to cook for themselves. Weight gain occurs when people select process foods as they are quicker and easier to prepare.
- Poor maintenance. Another sign that a person may not be well enough to look after their home is poor maintenance of the property. This is often displayed in unkempt lawns and poor housekeeping.
Children of elderly parents should not feel guilty that their parent/parents need to be put into an age care facility. In many cases, it is the right thing to do. Being around trained professionals will help patients be both physically and mentally healthy.
The emotional benefits of these facilities cannot be stressed enough. The majority of patients enjoy their time at aged care homes as they do not have to deal with the stresses of everyday life. The fact that they can socialize with people their own age only enhances their experience.
Anyone who is considering putting their loved one into an aged care home should view a few properties. This will help them determine whether or not a home is a good fit for their family.